Of all the elements of your home, your roof may be the one that plays the most critical role in protecting your family, your possessions and your home itself from damage inflicted by the elements. For this reason, making sure you take the time to invest in regular roof maintenance in Midland, TX is a must, all year long. While complex repairs will almost certainly need to be handled by professional roofers, here are some maintenance tasks you can take on yourself to keep your roof functioning at its best:
- Keep an eye on your roof: The most basic way to catch any problems with your roof is simply by paying attention to it. If you’ve had a storm or heavy winds in your area, check afterwards to make sure everything looks intact. It’s also a good idea to check on your roof in the spring, if there was any snow or consistent freezing temperatures in your area during the winter.
- Clean your gutters: During the spring, and even more regularly during the fall, it’s important to make sure your gutters are cleaned out. Excess debris can prevent water from draining off your roof, which can lead to pooling and potential leaks and rot. When you’re cleaning your gutters, also double check that the gutters themselves are securely fixed in place.
- Keep your trees under control: Branches hanging over your roof or brushing against it during windy weather can be very detrimental to the overall condition of your roof. Falling branches can leave holes in your roof or break shingles, and frequent contact between limbs and the roof can cause unnecessary wear and tear. Trim branches back to protect your roof—you’ll likely notice a decrease in debris, as well.
- Inspect your attic: If you’re like most homeowners, you probably don’t regard your attic as one of your favorite places to spend time. But checking your attic on a regular basis for signs of animal infestation, mold, leaks and damaged insulation can tell you a lot about how well your roof is holding up.
- Stay off of the roof: While it may seem like going the DIY route with clearing off your roof shouldn’t be too difficult, think again. Walking around on your roof can be very dangerous, and it can also cause serious damage to the roof itself. Just the act of walking can cause damage to shingles and other roofing materials, but a slip-and-fall situation can lead to major problems, particularly if your roof is already damaged.
- Turn to the pros: At the end of the day, your best bet for roof maintenance in Midland, TX is to get in touch with professional roofing contractors whenever your roof needs repairs, general maintenance or cleanup. Experienced roofers have the equipment and knowledge required to do the job safely and efficiently.
At Raintree Roofing Inc., we’ve been serving customers in Midland and the surrounding areas for over 20 years, and we’ve seen—and fixed—nearly anything and everything that can go wrong with a roof. Keep your roof safe and your peace of mind intact by giving us a call the next time you need help with your roof!